In addition to discussing the number of cores in the 9700KF, this article will discuss recommendations for compatible motherboards, CPU coolers, and memory.
Intel's 9700KF CPUs have 8 cores. The processor has a 3.60 GHz base frequency and supports a 4.90 GHz max turbo frequency.
Check out our Recommended Motherboards for the 9th Gen 9700KF below.
The Intel Core i7-9700KF has 8 threads.
Intel's 9th gen Core i7 processors do not support Hyper-Threading. Each of the 8 cores supports a single thread.
The processor has a 3.60 GHz base frequency and supports a 4.90 GHz max turbo frequency.
|Processor Name Suffix||Meaning|
|K||"K" means it's an unlocked CPU. Unlocked CPUs have configurable frequencies and thus support overclocking. Your "motherboard" must support overclocking to overclock unlocked CPUs. Motherboards with Z-series chipsets typically support overclocking. Learn more about what each chipset supports in my article Which Chipsets Work With Intel's Core i7-9700KF CPU?.|
|F||"F" means it requires discrete graphics. In other words, it doesn't have integrated graphics (basically a GPU built into the processor), thus requiring a standalone graphics card.|
The 9700KF model name has an F suffix. F-suffixed CPUs do not contain integrated graphics, and a separate graphics card is required.
The 9700KF model name has a K suffix. K-suffixed CPUs can be overclocked with a compatible motherboard.
Motherboards with a Z-series chipset typically support overclocking. For example, motherboards with the Z370 or Z390 chipset usually support overclocking Intel's 9th Gen Core CPUs. Learn more about what each chipset supports in my article Which Chipsets Work With Intel's Core i7-9700KF CPU?.
A CPU cooler's TDP (Thermal Design Power) rating indicates how much heat it can dissipate in watts. If the cooler can't keep your CPU cool enough, your CPU may throttle (slow down), and your cooler will constantly run at full speed.
Intel CPU specifications indicate this power dissipation number as "Processor Base Power."
The Core i7-9700KF has a TDP of 95 watts.
A CPU cooler can still work with a lower TDP rating than the TDP of a CPU. However, the CPU will eventually throttle itself to a lower frequency to allow itself to cool.
The CPU may not achieve or maintain maximum turbo speeds without adequate cooling.
Learn more in Choosing the Best CPU Cooler for Intel's Core i7-9700KF.
For Intel's 9th generation Core i7 9700KF processor, you'll need a motherboard with an LGA 1151 socket and 300-series chipset.
Motherboards for Intel processors are made with chipsets provided by Intel. Each chipset offers a unique set of capabilities. However, motherboards must explicitly support features and capabilities for you to use them. Verify that a motherboard supports the features and capabilities you desire.
The "K" in the model name 9700KF means it's an unlocked processor that supports overclocking. You will need a motherboard with the Z390 or Z370 chipset to support CPU overclocking.
For compatiblity with Intel's 11th generation Core processors, you can use any of the 300-series chipsets: Z390, Z370, H370, B365, B360, H310. These are roughly sorted from most to least functionality.
The Q370 chipset is also compatible, but is intended for business use cases; its availability in stand-alone motherboards is limited.
For a detailed comparison of these chipsets, check out my article Which Chipsets Work With Intel's Core i7-9700KF CPU?.
Find Z390 Chipset Motherboards on Amazon (affiliate link).
Find Z370 Chipset Motherboards on Amazon (affiliate link).
Find H370 Chipset Motherboards on Amazon (affiliate link).
Find B365 Chipset Motherboards on Amazon (affiliate link).
Find B360 Chipset Motherboards on Amazon (affiliate link).
Find H310 Chipset Motherboards on Amazon (affiliate link).
Best Feature Motherboard: MSI Z390-a PRO
- Our recommended feature-rich motherboard to pair with the Core i7-9700KF is MSI's Z390-A PRO motherboard:
- One NVMe M.2 slots at PCIe 3.0 x4 speeds.
- Up to 6 SATA 6 Gb/s ports (When using an M.2 SATA device, the SATA2 port will be unavailable).
- The two USB 3.1 Gen2 ports offer 10 Gbps USB speeds.
- One 1 Gb Ethernet port is faster than most Internet speeds.
- This board includes various headers for accessories, including a 4-pin Water Pump connector.
- Check the latest price of the MSI Z390-A PRO on Amazon (affiliate link).
Best Value Motherboard: ASUS Prime Z390-P
- Our recommended value motherboard to pair with the Core i7-9700KF is ASUS's Prime Z390-P motherboard:
- Two NVMe M.2 x4 slots at PCIe 3.0 speeds.
- Up to 4 SATA 3.0 ports, depending on M.2 configuration.
- USB 3.2 Gen 2x1 offers 10 Gbps USB speeds.
- One 1 Gb Ethernet port is faster than most Internet speeds.
- This board includes various headers and ports for accessories, including a liquid pump header and extra x1 PCIe slots.
- Check the latest price of the ASUS Prime Z390-P on Amazon (affiliate link).
Best AIO Liquid Cooler: Enermax Liqmax III 360
- This Enermax liquid cooler has an excellent cooling capability with a 360-watt TDP (Thermal Design Power).
- Supports a variety of CPU sockets, including Intel LGA 2066, 2011-3, 2011, 1700, 1200, 1366, 1156, 1155, 1151, 1150 and AMD AM4, AM3+, AM3, AM2+, AM2, FM2+, FM2, FM1.
- Quiet operation at 14-27 dBA.
- Make sure your computer case dimensions support this, as it will take up a decent amount of space!
Best Dual-Fan Air CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! BK022 Dark Rock Pro 4
- Quiet operation at 12.8-24.3 dB.
- The dual fans (120 mm and 135 mm) do a great job of cooling LGA 1151 CPUs with a 250-watt TDP (Thermal Design Power).
- Supports a variety of CPU sockets, including Intel LGA 1150, 1151, 1155, 1156, 1366, 2011(-3) square ILM, 2066 and AMD AM2, AM2+, AM3, AM3+, AM4, FM1, FM2, FM2+.
- Smaller models are available if you don't need as much cooling ability.
- You can even add another 120 mm fan to it for more cooling!
Runner Up - Dual-Fan Air CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15
- Dual 140 mm fans provide 220-watt TDP (183 NSPR) of cooling capability.
- Supports a variety of CPU sockets, including Intel LGA 1700, 1200, 1150, 1151, 1155, 1156, 2011, 2066 and AMD AM4, AM3, AM3+, AM2, AM2+, FM2, FM2+.
- Quiet operation at 24.6 dBA.
Before purchasing memory, review your motherboard specification to verify which speeds are supported. For example, if a DDR4 motherboard stated that it supports "DDR4 3400(O.C.) / 3333(O.C.) / 3300(O.C.) / 3200 / 3000," that would mean that it could support DDR4-3400, DDR4-3333, and DDR4-3300 with memory overclocking, and DDR4-3200 and DDR4-3000 at stock speeds. Motherboard specifications also indicate the maximum capacity per stick of RAM (DIMM) and across all slots.
Recommended Stock-Speed DDR4
- At an effective frequency of 2666 MHz, this memory hits the fastest DDR4 speed supported by Intel's Core i7 9700KF CPU without overclocking.
- The low-profile form factor ensures that the heat spreaders don't get in the way of other devices, including your CPU heatsink.
Recommended DDR4 for Overclockers
- This DDR4 memory is designed for overclocking to an effective frequency of 3600 MHz.
- Supports XMP 2.0.
- Compact heat spreaders avoid conflicting with a CPU cooler.
- Which Chipsets Work With Intel's Core i7-9700KF CPU?
- Choosing the Best CPU Cooler for Intel's Core i7-9700KF
- Choosing the Best Power Supply for Intel's Core i7-9700KF
- Is the Core i7-9700KF CPU Good for Gaming?
- Choosing the Best RAM for Intel's Core i7-9700KF CPU
- Choosing the Best Motherboard for Intel's Core i7-9700KF
- How Many Cores Do Intel Core i7-9700KF CPUs Have?
- What Is the TDP of the Core i7-9700KF CPU?
You can find detailed 9700KF specifications on Intel's site.
Want to brush up on other new technologies to consider when building a computer? Check out these articles:
- CPU Coolers:
- Graphics Cards:
- Power Supplies: