In addition to discussing the number of cores in the 1400, this article will discuss recommendations for compatible motherboards, CPU coolers, and memory.
AMD's Ryzen 5 1400 CPUs have 4 cores. The processor has a 3.2 GHz base frequency and supports a 3.4 GHz max boost frequency.
Check out our Recommended Motherboards for the Ryzen 5 1400 below.
The AMD Ryzen 5 1400 has 8 threads. The processors provide two threads for each of the 4 cores.
The processor has a 3.2 GHz base frequency and supports a 3.4 GHz max boost frequency.
The 1400 model name doesn't have a G suffix. Non-G CPUs do not contain integrated graphics, and a separate graphics card is required.
A CPU cooler's TDP (Thermal Design Power) rating indicates how much heat it can dissipate in watts. If the cooler can't keep your CPU cool enough, your CPU may throttle (slow down), and your cooler will constantly run at full speed.
AMD CPU specifications indicate this power dissipation number as "TDP."
The Ryzen 5 1400 has a TDP of 65 watts.
A CPU cooler can still work with a lower TDP rating than the TDP of a CPU. However, the CPU will eventually throttle itself to a lower frequency to allow itself to cool.
The CPU may not achieve or maintain maximum boost speeds without adequate cooling.
Learn more in What is the Best Type of CPU cooler for a Gaming PC?
For AMD's Zen-based Ryzen 5 1400 processor, you'll need a motherboard with an AM4 socket and a compatible chipset.
Motherboards for AMD processors are made with chipsets provided by AMD. Each chipset offers a unique set of capabilities. However, motherboards must explicitly support features and capabilities for you to use them. Verify that a motherboard supports the features and capabilities you desire.
Ryzen 1000-series CPUs, which includes the Ryzen 5 1400, are compatible with all 300 and 400-series consumer chipsets. Supported chipsets include the X470, B450, X370, B350, and A320.
The X470 and B450 are our recommended chipsets for the Ryzen 5 1400 CPU, as they provide the most functionality among compatible chipsets.
Note that the Ryzen 5 1400 CPU only supports PCIe 3.0.
For a detailed comparison of these chipsets and PCIe speeds, check out my article Which Chipsets Work With AMD's Ryzen 5 1400 CPU?.
Find Zen X470 Motherboards on Amazon (affiliate link).
Find Zen B450 Motherboards on Amazon (affiliate link).
B450 Motherboard: GIGABYTE B450 AORUS PRO Wi-Fi
- Our recommended B450 motherboard to pair with the Ryzen 5 1400 is GIGABYTE's B450 AORUS PRO Wi-Fi Motherboard:
- PCIe 3.0 graphics card support
- One Gb Ethernet port is faster than most Internet speeds.
- Two NVMe M.2 slots both run at PCIe 3.0 speeds.
- 802.11AC Wi-Fi provides support for a wireless network setup.
- USB 3.2 Gen 2 offers 10 Gbps USB speeds.
- Check the latest price of the GIGABYTE B450 AORUS PRO Wi-Fi on Amazon (affiliate link).
The boxed version of the Ryzen 5 1400 CPU comes with the Wraith Stealth CPU cooler. While stock coolers will prevent your CPU from overheating, your CPU will throttle its performance during games and other intensive tasks. Higher TDP coolers will keep your CPU at turbo speeds for longer durations. Stock coolers are often quite loud at their maximum speed.
Best AIO Liquid Cooler: Enermax Liqmax III 360
- This Enermax liquid cooler has an excellent cooling capability with a 360-watt TDP (Thermal Design Power).
- Supports a variety of CPU sockets, including Intel LGA 2066, 2011-3, 2011, 1700, 1200, 1366, 1156, 1155, 1151, 1150 and AMD AM4, AM3+, AM3, AM2+, AM2, FM2+, FM2, FM1.
- Quiet operation at 14-27 dBA.
- Make sure your computer case dimensions support this, as it will take up a decent amount of space!
Best Dual-Fan Air CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15
- Dual 140 mm fans provide 220-watt TDP (183 NSPR) of cooling capability.
- Supports a variety of CPU sockets, including Intel LGA 1700, 1200, 1156, 1155, 1151, 1150, 2011, 2066 and AMD AM4, AM3, AM3+, AM2, AM2+, FM2, FM2+.
- Quiet operation at 24.6 dBA.
Runner Up - Dual-Fan Air CPU Cooler: Thermaltake TOUGHAIR 510
- This CPU cooler doesn't have any fancy LED lights, but the dual 120 mm fans do a great job of cooling AM4 CPUs.
- Supports a variety of CPU sockets, including Intel LGA 1700, 1200, 1156, 1155, 1151, 1150 and AMD AM4, AM3, AM3+, AM2, AM2+, FM2, FM1.
- Suppose you think this cooler will take up too much space. In that case, Thermaltake has a few single-fan TOUGHAIR variants which use different orientations.
- This CPU cooler has a 2000 RPM max speed for optimal cooling.
- 180-watt TDP (Thermal Design Power).
Before purchasing memory, review your motherboard specification to verify which speeds are supported. For example, if a DDR4 motherboard stated that it supports "DDR4 3400(O.C.) / 3333(O.C.) / 3300(O.C.) / 3200 / 3000," that would mean that it could support DDR4-3400, DDR4-3333, and DDR4-3300 with memory overclocking, and DDR4-3200 and DDR4-3000 at stock speeds. Motherboard specifications also indicate the maximum capacity per stick of RAM (DIMM) and across all slots.
Recommended Stock-Speed DDR4
- At an effective frequency of 2666 MHz, this memory hits the fastest DDR4 speed supported by AMD's Ryzen 5 1400 CPU without overclocking.
- The low-profile form factor ensures that the heat spreaders don't get in the way of other devices, including your CPU heatsink.
Recommended DDR4 for Overclockers
- This DDR4 memory is designed for overclocking to an effective frequency of 3600 MHz.
- Compact heat spreaders avoid conflicting with a CPU cooler.
- Which Chipsets Work With AMD's Ryzen 5 1400 CPU?
- Choosing the Best Power Supply for AMD's Ryzen 5 1400 CPU
- Choosing the Best Motherboard for AMD's Ryzen 5 1400
- Choosing the Best RAM for AMD's Ryzen 5 1400 CPU
- Choosing the Best CPU Cooler for AMD's Ryzen 5 1400
- What Is the TDP of the Ryzen 5 1400 CPU?
- How Many Cores Do AMD Ryzen 5 1400 CPUs Have?
Want to brush up on other new technologies to consider when building a computer? Check out these articles:
- CPU Coolers:
- Graphics Cards:
- Power Supplies: